Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Old Bear

Kevin Henkes is a Newbury Honor writer as well as  Caldecott Book Award winner, and he writes for primary ages through young adult novel. I'm not quite sure of the illustrator of this book as it went unlisted, but if it were him I would be even more impressed with him! This is a very simple tale fit for a younger, primary aged audience about a bear who dreams of all of the seasons that he experienced when he was young, and how especially long the winter is, which leads into a science theme of hibernation. As Old Bear travels through his seasons, emotions and colors are painted in the story, and for that I think the book also touches on the different seasons and how we can sort them by not only physical changes but the emotions that you feel within those seasons.

I would read this book to Kindergarten students, and then by First grade allow most readers to take this upon their own as it is a very simple read with rich beautiful pictures. For a pre-activity, students could guess what the word hibernation means, and how it relates to seasons of the year. After we read the book, I would ask the students to define hibernation, explain how it works with seasons with a visual aide, and then maybe research other animals who hibernate, and discuss what they may do before they go in for their long sleep.
I really loved this book, my mother bought it for me for my birthday last year when I had requested strictly children's books to build up my library, and I could definitely see how I could use this particularly for younger students.

1 comment:

  1. I had to comment on this blog post. I LOVE Kevin Henkes! He is such a great author! I love how you integrated this picture book into Science. I think it is great when we are able to share picture books in a read-aloud with our students, but also use it in a teachable moment for a content area. It would be awesome to grab some non-fiction books on hibernation and the seasons to show students the difference in genres. Great book, I would love to read this one!

    ReplyDelete