Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Japan

Estuko Watanabe paints an interesting picture about Japan, and shows the readers directly what is different in the every day culture in her book My Japan. Earlier in the semester, we were asked to pick out a series of books that centered around a cultural aspect, and though my group had chosen the Hispanic culture, I wound up completely forgetting that we had picked a topic, and went on to a topic of my own. Originally I became more interested in learning about Japan after the Tsunami and then the Earthquake had hit, and all I was hearing about on the news was of the tragedy as the Japanese people come from a warm culture full of customs, and as absolutely thriving community. This book was originally intended for K-2nd grade learners, but I think it is a great Fiction-based on Non-Fiction kind of book, and kids learning about geography and cultures could enjoy this book at any age. Little details are what struck me the most, like how they start school in April instead of September and how they kept the same school bag throughout their entire school careers. The food, the drink, vacations, and traditional dress...the transportation with NO street signs ( I'd be lost!), and lids for bathtubs to keep the water warm...I mean this is a cool book. At the end of the book, Watanebe gives us symbols and the Hirigana language, which represents syllables.

I would use this book to teach about the Japanese culture, but also during geographical and cultural studies. As I said before, I would totally use this book for older students as well, but I would probably stick with the primary grade levels, maybe 2nd or 3rd grade. This would be a perfect opportunity to use compare and contrast charts, like a Venn diagram. We could have the students work in small groups, collecting what they do in this country for food, celebrations, transportation, school, etc. After reading the story, the students could contrast what they do with how the Japanese culture works. Another book that I will definitely add to my library someday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment